- 35 lakh cusecs discharged from the Godavari into sea
- Nearly 4.35 lakh cusecs were discharged from the Godavari into the Bay of Bengal and more than 50,000 cusecs from the Krishna which received rain in the lower reaches though 233.87 tmcft are required to fill up two major reservoirs on the river. While Srisailam on the Krishna had a flood cushion of 72.75 tmcft, Nagarjuna Sagar needed 161.12 tmcft to get filled up.
- The Srisailam reservoir, common to Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, recorded an inflow of 90,115 cusecs and discharged 34,692 cusecs to Nagarjuna Sagar downstream. More of the inflows to Srisailam are from the Tungabhadra (discharge of Tungabhadra reservoir 66,721 cusecs) instead of the Krishna (discharge of Jurala 28,240 cusecs).Requiring over 160 tmcft to fill up Nagarjuna Sagar, only 9,148 cusecs were released after power generation.
- The 50,000 cusecs being received by the Prakasam barrage, the last reservoir on the Krishna, are from Muniyeru, Wyra and Kataleru rivulets.
- All the 24 pumps of the Pattiseema Lift Irrigation Scheme, that were transferring 8,500 cusecs from the Godavari Basin to the Krishna Basin, had been switched off in the wake of the flood in the rivulets that joined the Krishna below the Pulichintala reservoir.
· Rashida Tlaib set to become 1st Muslim woman in US Congress
- She (42-year-old) is the daughter of Palestinian immigrants and won a Democratic primary election to represent Michigan’s 13thdistrict, securing 33.6 percent of the vote.
- Tlaib is set to replace John Conyers.
- She served in the Michigan state house from 2009 to 2014, and was also the first Muslim womanever elected to the state’s legislature.
· Oscar Academy is adding a New Category for Popular Films
- The new Oscar will be awarded for “Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film” and will be introduced this coming year, at the 91st
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which awards the Oscars, has added a new category after 17 years to recognise popular films.
- The last category to be added was ‘Best AnimatedFeature Film’.
· Largest museum of US to return 2 ancient sculptures to India
- An eighth-century stone sculpture of Goddess Durgaand a third century limestonesculpture ‘Head of a Male Deity‘ will be returned to India by the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the largest museum in the US.
- The stone sculpture of Durga Mahishasuramardini was donated to the museum in 2015.
- The limestone sculpture, donated in 1986, was part of Nagarjunakonda Site Museum’s excavated inventory
· Government introduced four GST amendment Bills
- The government introduced four Billsto amend the Goods and Services Tax (GST) laws in order to make the return forms simpler and raise the turnover threshold for availing composition scheme to 1.5 crore.
- The four amendment Bills are the Central GST (Amendment) Bill, the Integrated GST (Amendment) Bill, the GST (Compensation to States) Amendment Bill and the Union Territory GST (Amendment) Bill. Initially, the Bill was aimed to help the MSME sector and small traders.
· NSE unveiled new logo at its silver jubilee celebration
- The National Stock Exchange(NSE), India’s largest equity bourse, has celebrated its silver jubilee by unveiling its new logo, which is a modern representation of a blooming marigold with red, yellow, orange, and blue hues.
- The celebrations were attended by former prime minister Manmohan Singh, Union minister Nitin Gadkari, NITI Aayog deputy chairman Rajiv Kumar, and Delhi lieutenant-governor Anil Baijal.
- The NSE was inaugurated by Singh in 1994 when he was finance minister.
· Project ‘SWAYAM’ launched By HRD Ministry
- ‘Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds’ (SWAYAM), aims to provide one integrated platform and portal for online courses.
- This course covers all higher education subjects and skill sector courses.
- The main objective is to ensure that every student in the country has access to the best quality higher education at the affordable cost.
- Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill, 2017
- The Requisitioning and Acquisition of Immovable Property (Amendment) Bill, 2017 which was moved by Union Urban Development Minister Hardeep Singh Puri, was adopted by a voice vote.
- The Lok Sabha had passed the bill in December last year.
It aimed to amend the regulations governing the compensation payable for acquisition of immovable property by the Centre for defence and security purposes.
· Govt to provide discount of Rs. 15 per kg on pulses for poor
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) decided to provide a discount of ₹15/kg on pulses, over the wholesale market price, to States for distribution under welfare schemes like mid-day meal, Public Distribution System (PDS), and Integrated Child Development Programmes (ICDP).
- States and Union Territories will be offered to lift 34.88 lakh tonnes of Tur, Chana, Masoor, Moong and Uradat the discount of ₹15/kg over the prevailing wholesale market price on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- The Government will spend ₹5,237 crorefor implementing this scheme.
APPSC GROUP 1 Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APPSC GROUP 1 Notes are as follows:-
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes