- Government to construct five lakh more houses
- The State government is contemplating providing 5 lakh houses more for the people not covered under both the rural and the urban housing schemes being implemented so far. The people living on the fringes of urban areas will be covered.
- With this, the number of houses constructed for the poor and the middle class would touch 25 lakh. The government already constructing/sanctioned/constructed 19 lakh houses.
- Of this, 13 lakh houses are being constructed by the Rural Housing department, while six lakh houses are being constructed by APTIDCO.
- As per the new proposal, four lakh houses would be constructed in rural areas under the NTR Housing scheme and the rest in the urban areas. Unlike in the past, all houses in urban areas would be taken up by the Rural Housing Ministry. These houses would come up under the jurisdiction of the Urban Development Authorities (UDAs) such as the Visakhapatnam Urban Development Authority (VUDA). The Finance department clearance is expected shortly.
- 24th World Congress of Philosophy held in Beijing, China
- The World Congress of Philosophy is organized every five years by the International Federation of Philosophical Societies (FISP) in collaboration with one of its member societies.
- The XXIV World Congress will be held in Beijing, China, from August 13 to August 20, 2018, under the auspices of the Chinese Organizing Committee.
- The complementary aims of the 2018 Congress include an emphasis on exploring dimensions of the human and inquiring into the challenges facing humanity:
- Its theme is “Learning To Be Human”
- FSSAI launches RUCO initiative to collect, convert used cooking oil into biofuel
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on Friday launched RUCO (Repurpose Used Cooking Oil), an initiative that will enable collection and conversion of used cooking oil to bio-diesel.
- FSSAI may also look at introducing regulations to ensure that companies that use large quantities of cooking oil hand it over to registered collecting agencies to convert it into biofuel.
- Under this initiative, 64 companies at 101 locations have been identified to enable collection of used cooking oil.
- BSNL launches VOIP based phone service – WINGS
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) has launched BSNL WINGS a VOIP based service.
- In WINGS, there is no SIM or cable wiring as is a VOIP service through an app.
- The WINGS service offers unlimited free audio/video calling for one year. Calls can be made using any data connection such as wired broadband, Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G network of any operator.
- WINGS can also be used over Internet Leased Lines. WINGS also supports video calls, but is restricted between WINGS.
· India’s first Humboldt penguin was born at Mumbai’s Byculla zoo
- India’s first Humboldt penguin was born on 15th August at Mumbai’s Byculla zoo. As it was born on Independence Day, it was named as
- “The Freedom Baby”. The zoo authorities will be conducting DNA test to find out its gender. The chick weighed 75 gm and was reported to be healthy.
- The Humboldt penguin (Spheniscus humboldti) is a South American penguin that breeds in coastal Chile and Peru.
- The penguin is named after the cold water current it swims in, which is itself named after Alexander von Humboldt, an explorer.
- The species is listed as Vulnerable by the IUCN.
· Indo-Israel missile defence system Barak 8 to be procured by Israeli Navy
- The multi-purpose Barak 8 missile defence system, jointly developed by India and Israel, will be procured by the Israeli Navy to protect its economic zones and strategic facilities from diversified threats and the sales for it have exceeded USD 5 billion.
- Barak-8 is an operational air and missile defense system used by the Israeli Navy as well as by the Indian Navy and air forces.
- Barak 8 has been jointly developed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), India’s DRDO, Israel’s Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure, Elta Systems, Rafael and some other Indian defence companies.
· India’s First project of Swadesh Darshan launched in Manipur
- The Manipur Governor, Dr. Najma A. Heptullainaugurated the project ‘Development of North East Circuit: Imphal & Khongjom’ implemented under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme of Ministry of Tourism, Government of India.
- The project which covers two sites – Kangla Fort in Imphal and Khongjom was taken up at an estimated cost of 72,22,82607under the Union Ministry of Tourism.
- ‘Swadesh Darshan’ (tour of country) is a flagship scheme of the Ministry of Tourism for the development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned and prioritised manner.
- The scheme was launched in 2014-15 and the ministry has so far sanctioned 70 projects at a cost of Rs 5,708.88 crore.
· Indian Army to climb world’s fifth highest peak Mt Makalu
- To achieve greater heights in the field of mountaineering, Indian Armyis planning to attempt fifth highest mountain peak in the world – Mt Makalu(8,485 metres) in 2019.
- Under the protection of Army Adventure Wing, an expedition to Mount Kamet (7756 meters), Joshimath (district Chamoli, Uttarakhand), is also being conducted from August to September.
- Mount Kamet is the third highest peak of Indiaafter Kanchanjunga and Nandadevi and the only highest peak available to climb within the country.
APPSC GROUP 1 Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APPSC GROUP 1 Notes are as follows:-
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022