· AP’s energy prog a model for others: Power min
ð The Union ministry of power has advised all states in India to follow Andhra Pradesh model in implementing energy efficiency activities.
ð The ministry, in a letter to the states, advised them to establish standalone state-designated agencies (SDAs) on the lines of AP for promotion of efficient use of energy and its conservation as the government has embarked upon achieving reduction of around 550 million tons of carbondioxide by 2030 thorough several energy efficiency measures, besides electricity saving of 500 billion units.
ð Andhra Pradesh also received a big applause from the Paris-based International Energy Agency (IEA) for its endeavour, including retrofitting of LED street lighting with conventional lights and distribution of LED bulbs to one crore families. The World Bank ranked AP No. 1 in energy efficiency implementation readiness, and the NITI Aayog too recognized the efforts of the state in energy efficiency.
· World Bank unveils USD 200 billion in climate action investment for 2021-25
- World Bank unveiled USD 200 billionin climate action investment for 2021-25, adding this amounts to a doubling of its current five-year funding.
- The move coincides with a UN climate summit in Katowice (Poland).
- The breakdown of 200 billion dollars would comprise approximately 100 billion in direct finance from the World Bank. Around one-third of the remaining funding will come from two World Bank Group agencies with the rest private capital mobilized by the World Bank Group.
· India submits official interest to host 2032 Olympics
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has submitted a formal expression of interest to bid for 2032 Olympics.
- Mumbai and Delhi are the top two options under consideration by Indian Olympic Association (IOA), which has approached the International Olympic Committee.
- India is holding on to its dream of hosting the Olympic games for the first time.
- The bidding process is expected to start in 2022 and a host city will be decided by 2025.
· World Soil Day is observed on 5 December
- World Soil Dayis celebrated annually on the 5th of December at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) headquarters in Rome, the regional offices and through national and local events. #StopSoilPollution is the objective of this World Soil Day on 5 December and throughout the year.
- India’s heaviest satellite GSAT-11 successfully launched
- The ISRO launched GSAT-11 satellite and put it successfully in earth orbit from Kourou Launch Zone, French Guiana in South America. ISRO used the Ariane-5 VA246 heavyweight rocket of Arianespace for this mission.
- It will operate from 74 degree east. The GSAT-11 weighing 5,854 kg is the heaviest satellite built by ISRO.
- The GSAT-11 is the next generation high throughput communication satellite that will play a vital role in providing broadband services across the country.
- It will also provide a platform to demonstrate new generation applications such as in flights internet connectivity. The satellite is expected to have a lifespan of 15 years.
· Delhi government launched One card for ease of commute on metro, buses
- Delhi government announced the launch of a common mobility card called‘One’, with a tagline of ‘One Delhi One Ride’, for the easy commute on public transport.
- This would enable access to Metro and bus services with a single card at a 10 percent discount.
- A further provision of coverage of auto-rickshaws, taxis, RTVs and other modes of transport would be inducted under this card.
- The ONE card a background of the cubic grid in bright shades of red and yellow.
- It also has a circular unit with sketches of Metro trains, DTC buses, auto rickshaws and Delhi’s monuments around it.
· IMD announced that winter will be warmer than normal this year
- India Meteorological Department(IMD) announced that winter is likely to be warmer than average, with fewer ‘cold wave’ days between December and February. The forecast suggested that ‘above normal’ seasonal minimum temperatures (>0.5° C) are most likely over most of the subdivisions of the country.
- However, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, sub-Himalayan West Bengal, and Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Odisha and Chhattisgarh in central India, would most likely see ‘normal’ (between 0.5°C and -0.5°C) seasonal minimum temperatures prevailing. The forecast report was delivered by K.J. Ramesh, Director-General, IMD.
· Indian Railways rolls out All-India Unreserved Mobile Ticketing facility
- Railway tickets can be booked online as the Ministry has introduced Unreserved Mobile Ticketing with a view to promoting three C’s- Cashless transactions (Digital payment), Contactless ticketing (no need to physically visit the point of sale) and Customer convenience and experience.
- Coal output up 10% but power plants still run low on fuel
- Coal production increased by over 10% to more than 370 million tonne (mt) in the April-October period from 335 mt in the previous corresponding period but several power plants are still running low on fuel due to transportation and other issues.
- Latest government data shows coal production rising by 110.71 mt from 565.77 mt in 2013-14 to 676.48 mt in 2017-18. All-India coal production rose by 10.4% till October, while output by state-run Coal India Ltd, the world’s largest coal miner, increased by 10.1%.
- The rise in the output is nearly three times the output growth rate of 33.73 mt between 2009-10 and 2013-14.
- The government’s think-tank, has estimated coal demand at 991.35 mt, including imports, in the ongoing fiscal. The demand by the power sector, the main consumer industry, is estimated at 760.66 mt and requirement of the non-power sector is pegged at 230.69 mt.
[/lockercat]APPSC GROUP 1 Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APPSC GROUP 1 Notes are as follows:-
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes