· Tribal Araku farmers get global recognition
ð Tribal farmers who grow the now globally famous Araku Coffee are truly going places. After its thunderous debut in Paris a few months ago, Araku Coffee has become very well-known and its cultivators are being recognised and celebrated throughout the world.
ð In yet another global recognition, Araku farmers were recognised as Landscape Heroes by Germany-based Global Landscapes Forum (GLF), which is a multi-stakeholder platform to create productive, prosperous, equitable and climate-resilient landscapes. GLF is supported by the German government.
ð The landscape projects of the Araku farmers, Naandi and the Livelihoods Carbon Fund will enable the restoration of 24,000 hectares and impact 170,000 villagers. They will also contribute to climate action by sequestrating upwards of 3.5 million tons of CO2 (carbon credits certified by Verra).
· India slips 2 places on ‘Global Talent Ranking’; Switzerland on top
- India has slipped two places to rank 53rdon a global annual talent ranking released by IMD Business School Switzerland.
- While Switzerland has topped the global ranking for the fifth year in a row, it is followed by Denmark, Norway, Austria and the Netherlands in the top-five.
- Within Asia, Singapore has topped the charts with a global 13th place on the list that ranks 63 countries in developing, attracting and retaining talent.
- Among BRICS nations, Brazil is ranked 58th, South African 50th and Russia 46th.
· UN General Assembly adopts 1st resolution on sexual harassment
- The Third Committee of the UN General Assembly has adopted a resolution on sexual harassment, the first of its kindat the world body.
- The resolution urges countries to address the discrimination faced by women that makes them vulnerable to exploitation, violence and abuse.
- It also urges states to ensure the promotion and protection of the human rightsof all women and their sexual and reproductive health, and reproductive rights.
· Centre made jute packaging mandatory for all food grains
- The Centre approved a proposal making jute packaging mandatory for all food grains. The decision was taken by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, headed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In India, the jute sector employs approximately 3.7 lakh workers directly. The move is significant as it would support several lakh farm families and workers whose livelihood is dependent on the jute sector.
· Bihar CM unveiled statue of Lord Buddha at Rajgir
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumarunveiled a 70-foot-tall statue of Lord Buddha at Rajgir in Nalanda district. Mr.Kumar unveiled the statue of Lord Buddha, the second tallest statue of Buddha in the country, in the presence of Mahabodhi temple’s chief monk Bhante Chalinda amid the chanting of hymns.
- The statue has been installed above a 16 metre radius pedestal in the middle of the lake Ghora Katoraand has been made from 45,000 cubic foot pink sandstone. Ghora Katora lake is a historical place. It is a natural lake surrounded by five hills where Lord Buddha’s statue has been installed.
· UP government cleared the proposal to build Ram statue
- The Uttar Pradesh governmenthas cleared a proposal to build a 221-meter-tall statue of Lord Ram on the banks of the Saryu river in Ayodhya. The government did not furnish the details of the funding, the construction agency and the location of the statue. The size of the statue will outdo the 182-meter-tall statue of Sardar Patel in Gujarat.
- TheYogi Adityanath government had last year announced that it would construct a Ram statue in Ayodhya as part of the “Navya Ayodhya” scheme of the UP Tourism Department to develop the town as a tourist hub.
- This is not the only Ram statue the BJP government is planning in UP. The government also plans to build a statue of Lord Ram at Shringverpur, a site near Allahabad revered by Nishads.
· Mary Kom Won Sixth World Championship Title, Creates History
- MC Mary Komcreated history by becoming the first woman to win six boxing world titles by clinching the 48 kg gold at the 2018 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in New Delhi.
- The 35-year-old Indian legend got the better of Ukrainian Hanna Okhota in the summit clash.
- WhatsApp set to start radio campaigns against fake news
- WhatsApp said it is rolling out radio campaigns across various states, advising people to check the veracity of information received as a forward before believing in it or sharing it with others.
- The Facebook-owned company has been slapped with two notices to check the spread of fake news, prompting it to take a series of measures, including restricting the number of forwards to five, while adding the ‘forward’ label to help users identify such messages.
[/lockercat]APPSC GROUP 1 Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APPSC GROUP 1 Notes are as follows:-
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes