Besides the longitudinal divisions, the Himalayas have been divided on the basis of regions from west to east. These divisions have been demarcated by river valleys.
- Punjab Himalaya: The part of the Himalayas lying between Indus and Satluj has been traditionally known as Punjab Himalaya but it is also known regionally as Kashmir and Himachal Himalaya from west to east respectively. Karakoram, Zaskar, Ladakh, Pir panjal, Dhola Dhar are the main ranges of this section
- Kumaon Himalayas: The part of the Himalayas lying between Satluj and Kali rivers. Nanda Devi, Kamet, Trishul, Badrinath, Kedarnath, Gangotri are important peak.
- Nepal Himalayas: The part of the Himalayas lying between Kali and Teesta. This is the tallest section of Himalayas and is covered by peaks of perpetual snow. Mount Everest is the highest peak of the world is found in this region. Other important Peaks are Kanchenjunga, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, Dhaula Giri, and Anapurna.
- Assam Himalayas: The part lying between Teesta and Dihang rivers. This part of Himalayas spread over large parts so Sikkim, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh. The important Peaks of this region are Namcha Barwa, Kuala Kangri, and Chomo Lhari
The Brahmaputra mark the easternmost boundary of the Himalayas. Beyond the Dihang gorge, the Himalayas bend sharply to the south and spread along the eastern boundary of India. They are known as the Purvachal or the Eastern hills and mountains. These hills running through the north-eastern states are mostly composed of strong sandstones which are sedimentary rocks. Covered with dense forests, they mostly run as parallel ranges and valleys.
DRAW MAP IN THESE KIND OF QUESTIONS TO FETCH GOOD MARKS
APPSC GROUP 1 Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APPSC GROUP 1 Notes are as follows:-
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes