. Expansion under Wellesley was perhaps one of the largest British expansions. He took over India at a time when France was engaged in a bitter war with Britain all over the world. He used many tactics for expansion from outright war to usurping the throne of erstwhile subsidiaries. Subsidiary Alliance was one such tool and it had following features:
- Indian rulers were made to sign alliance under which British stationed their forces permanently in their allies and the Indian ruler has to pay for them ad also accept British
- Indian ruler himself has to disband his own forces and
- Was also debarred from making any transactions from other foreign power without British approval.
- A Resident of British was appointed in the court of ruler as British representative.
- Ruler was promised protection from external attacks.
- British also promised non-interference in internal affairs, but this promise was broken more often than was kept.
- Thus, Indian rulers have to pledge their independence through this treaty.
The treaty had a great adverse effect on Indian rulers. Due to disbanding of armies lakhs became unemployed. Ruler care little for the welfare of the people, as they relied on British to subdue any internal rebellion or discontent. British on the other hand gained immensely from the subsidiary treaty. They now maintained a huge army and that too on expense of Indian rulers. They at time overthrew the allies under alliance on charges of being inefficient. Nizam of Hyderabad became first to sign this treaty in 1798. Awadh was also forced into it in 1801. Mysore fell after Tipu refused to accept Subsidiary Alliance of Wellesley and later death of Tipu Sultan in 1799 in seize of Seringpattanam or the Fourth Mysore war and it was returned to the erstwhile ruler and some part was taken by British. Marathas were now the only major force outside British control. Wellesley now focused his attention towards them.
APPSC GROUP 1 Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APPSC GROUP 1 Notes are as follows:-
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022