- The vast expanse of land in the southern Deccan comprised the kingdom of Vijayanagar from 1336-1650 A.D approximately. The famous kingdom was ruled by a series of able monarchs who were great patrons of art, architecture and letters.
- Magnificent structures were erected during the heydays of the empire, famous among them like Hampi monuments find a place in UNESCO world heritage list.
Vijayanagar style of architecture drew upon the traditions of various earlier traditions like:
- The Chola style large gopurams can be found in Vijayanagar temples like Virupaksha temple at Hampi.
- Large mandapas built at various temples.
- Vimana of the Vijayanagar temples are a continuance of the Cholas architectural tradition ex: Veerabhadra temple at Lepakshi.
- Nandi bull at the entrance of the temple.
- Murals were painted on the walls and ceilings of the temple .Ex: Virupaksha temple.
- The Pallavas were instrumental in the transition from rock-cut architecture to stone temples. This finds reflection in Vijayanagar era temples too.
- Pallavas constructed pillared halls in their temples; Vijayanagar temples like Aghoreshwara temple in Karnataka also incorporated this style.
- Hoysalas preferred soapstone as the temple building material; it was also used in Vijayanagar reliefs and sculptures.
- Hoysala style open mandapas were incorporated in many temples in the Vijayanagar Empire like Vittala temple at Hampi etc
DISTINCT FEATURES OF VIJAYANAGARA STYLE:
- Kalyanmandapa- it was meant for ritual purpose, although a unique feature.
- PILLARS – they were distinct features as the manner in which they were executed was complex.
- Horse motif on pillars.
Thus Vijayanagar empire saw a rich amalgamation of Cholas , Pallavas and Hoysalas architectural traditions that prospered in previous centuries .Despite this influence Vijayanagar temples retained their uniqueness in various ways.APPSC GROUP 1 Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APPSC GROUP 1 Notes are as follows:-
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes