With establishment of Turkish rule in India, a new phase coming in history of Indian art and architecture. Turks brought Islamic style of architecture in India. This new style eas significantly different from traditional Indian style. But over a period of time both style under went assimilation.
Essential feature of Indo -Islamic architecture were:
- Islamic architecture characterised by uses of arches, domes and minarates. Arches were used for making doors. Dome was used to make roof and minarates were eracted in 4 corners of building
- Assimilation of Indian style i.e. Trabeate architecture, use of columns and pillars.
- Use of lime mortar as binding agent. Which provided solidarity to the monuments and buildings.
- Charbhagi style brought by Babar added to the beauty of monuments.
- Double dome architecture was another significant feature of the Indo-Islamic architecture. Eg. Himayun Tomb, Taj Mahal etc.
- Use of new techniques like pietra deura , calligraphy technique , arabesque etc.
- Elements of Indian architecture like Jali, Chatra , jharaokha ,chajja etc.
Right from the beginning of Turkish rule to the age of Mughal rule , process of assimilation of Indian and Islamic continued and it lead to the genesis of new kind of architecture in India. It represent our unique, assimilative cultural identity.