Iran’s Chabahar port is located on the Gulf of Oman and is the only oceanic port of the country. The port gives access to the energy-rich Persian Gulf nations’ southern coast. Iran formally handed over the port to India recently during a first meeting of the follow-up committee for the implementation of the Chabahar Agreement between Iran, Afghanistan, and India held recently in the port city Tehran.
Importance of chahbhar port:
- The operationalisation of Chabahar port is a milestone in India’s regional connectivity and trade game plan.
- Chabahar port opens up a permanent alternative route for trade with Afghanistan and Central Asia, given the hurdles in the direct route through Pakistan.
- It facilitates India’s role in Afghanistan’s development through infrastructure and education projects.
- It gives a big boost to India’s bilateral ties with Iran, which is a major oil supplier and potential trade market for India.
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022