- NEP should strive for strong school education, inclusive varsities: experts
- Strengthening school education, teacher training, funding for research, public private partnership in setting up universities, integrated vocational education, improving the intake of youth in universities are some of the suggestions made on the New Education Policy.
- The policy as a very comprehensive draft bill and unique as it touched upon all aspects of education from KG to PG. Higher education in the country suffered from three shortcomings — inequitable access, falling standards and poor research.
- India’s demographic dividend of 40 % youth would turn into a disaster if it failed to put the 19-23 years age group in universities.
- Pramila Jayapal as first Indian-American woman to preside over US House
- Pramila Jayapalfirst Indian American woman to preside over US house.
She is the first elected to Congress in 2016 preside over the House and served the most diverse Congress in the nation’s history.
- She presided over the House as a Temporary Speaker.
- The House Democrats rotate for the ceremonial position of presiding over the chamber.
- She became the first South Asian American woman to preside over the US House of Representatives.
- A record number of 17 Asian Americans serve in Congress with 14 in the House and three in the Senate house.
- India ranks 95 in theSustainable Development Goals Gender Index
- India ranked 95th out of 129 countriesin the Sustainable Development Goals Gender Index. India scored 2 on a scale of 0–100.The index found that no country has fully achieved gender equality and that the global average score of65.7 out of 100 which falls in the poor category.
- SDG Gender Index a new index that measuresglobal gender equality considering various parameters such as education, literacy, political representation, poverty, health, and equality at the workplace. The SDG gender index included 51 indicators across 14 of the 17 official Sustainable Development Goals. The list covered 129 countries across all regions of the world.
- India’s highest goal scores in the Index are on SDG 3 of health where it secured9, SDG 2of hunger and nutrition with 76.2 and SDG 7 of energy with 71.8.
- India’s lowest goal scores in the SDG index are onSDG 17 of partnerships, the country scored 3, SDG 9 of industry, infrastructure and innovation with 38.1 and SDG 13 of climate with 43.4.
- The countries that secured the top ranks are Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands and the countries that secured the last 10 ranks are Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria, Mali, Mauritania.
- India-Marshall Islands tax data pact notified
- The union government notified an agreement with the Marshall Islands a country of volcanic islands and coral atolls in the Pacific Ocean, for the exchange of banking and company information for tax purposes.
- It comes under tax evasion and tax avoidance.
- It is called as tax information exchange agreement (TIEA)
- They allow mutual cooperation between the two countries by providing an effective framework for exchange of information in tax matters.
- The agreement (India-Marshall Islands TIEA) between the Indian government and the government of the Marshall Islands was signed on March 18, 2016, at Majuro, the Republic of the Marshall Islands.
- The bilateral agreement is based on international standards of tax transparency and exchange of information and enables the sharing of information on request.
- Delhi Metro Station becomes India’s first project to receive power from waste-to-energy
- Delhi Metrobecame the first ever project in the country to receive power generated from a waste-to-energy plant.
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) receiving 2 MW power from a 12 MW capacity waste-to-energy plant set up in Ghazipur.
- It is being utilized at the Vinod Nagar Receiving Substation (RSS) for meeting the operational requirements of Pink Line of Delhi Metro.
- It will take approximately 17.5 million units per annum from this plant.
The energy mainly depends upon the actual generation of the plant.
It is set up by East Delhi Waste Processing Company Limited (EDWPCL)
- Gujarat topped the country with annual fish production of 7.8 lakh tonnes
- Gujarat topped the country withannual fish production of 7.8 lakh tonnes, followed by Tamil Nadu (7.02 lakh tonnes) and Kerala (6.43 lakh tonnes) according to the Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute (CMFRI).
- Kanniyakumari topped in the Tamil Nadu state annual fish production.
Ramanathapuram has emerged as the second topper in the Tamil Nadu state in annual fish production. It has recorded46 lakh tonnesduring 2018.
Nagapattinam stands third highest fish production district to have recorded 91,186 tonnes. Thoothukudi stands fourth by recording 70,965 tonnes followed by Cuddalore (62,525 tonnes) and Chennai (55,707 tonnes).
- Mumbai ranked first among 403 global cities in Traffic Index 2018 study
- An analysis of traffic congestion done in more than 400 citiesacross six continents has found that commuters in Mumbai spent the most time on the road last year.
Mumbai ranked first in the study, ‘Traffic Index-2018’, by location technology specialist TomTom, with a congestion level of 65 percent
- New Delhi ranked fourth with a congestion level of 58 percent.
- Mumbai held on to the top rank for the second consecutive year beating against Bogota (63 percent), Lima (58 percent) and Moscow (56 percent).
- The overall study covered 403 cities in 56 countries and defined congestion as the extra time added to road travel when traffic doesn’t flow freely.
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes