- Internet shutdowns cost state ₹659 crore in 3 years: Report
- Seventeen instances of internet shutdowns over 2015, 2016 and 2017, cost Rajasthan ~659.37 crore , shows an April 2018 report by think tank, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER).
- Mobile internet shutdowns alone added up to 594 hours in the period and cost the state economy approximately ~637.26 crore, the report said.
- Rajasthan is at the third position after Jammu and Kashmir in terms of mobile and fixed lines shutdowns.
- In terms of economic losses due to the mobile and fixed line internet shutdowns, Rajasthan is at fifth spot after Jammu and Kashmir and North-eastern states. During 2015 and 2017, Jammu and Kashmir witnessed 652 hours of internet shutdown and economy of ~1259.78 crore was affected while Northerneastern states suffered a loss of ~1052.41 crore .
- Gujarat (~8345.22 crores) tops the list in terms of economic losses due to suspension of mobile services, followed by Jammu and Kashmir(~2984.40 crores), Haryana(~2509.50 crores), West Bengal(~1289.99 crores) and Rajasthan (~637.26 crores). The data of economic loss comprise of two categories; suspension of mobile internet services and suspension of mobile and fixed line services.)
- 6th East Asia Summit and 15th India-ASEAN Economic Ministers Meeting held in Singapore
- Commerce & Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu attended the 6thEast Asia Summit- Economic Ministers’ Meeting (EAS-EMM) and 15th India-ASEAN Economic Ministers’ Meeting (AEM) in Singapore. Singapore is currently holding the Chair of ASEAN.
- The 6th East-Asia Economic Ministers’ Meeting was chaired by Chan Chun Sing, Minister for Trade and Industry, Singapore, and was attended by Economic Ministers from 10 ASEAN countries and their eight dialogue partners, Australia, China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, the Russian Federation and the United States of America.
- Tahira Safdar becomes first woman to head a Pakistan high court
- Justice Tahira Safdar was sworn in on as the first woman chief justice of a Pakistani high court.
- Justice Safdar was sworn in as the chief justice of Balochistan High Court at a ceremony held at the Governor House in Balochistan.
- She made history in 1982 when she became the first woman civil judge in Balochistan.
· Mauritius tops India’s FDI charts again in FY18
- According to RBI data, Mauritius remained the top source of Foreign Direct Investment(FDI) into India in 2017-18 followed by Singapore.
- The total FDI in the financial year stood at $37.36 billion, a marginal increase from $36.31 billion recorded in the previous fiscal.
- FDI from Mauritius totalled $13.41 billion.
- Asian Games 2018: India finish with 69 medals
- India finishes 8th with a final tally of 69 medals – 15 gold, 24 silver and 30 bronze, at Asian Games 2018.
- China topped the tally with 289 medals including 132 gold.
- Japan finishes second while Republic of Korea secured third place.
- The 2018 Asian Games, officially known as the 18th Asian Games were held in Jakarta-Palembang 2018 from 18 August to 2 September 2018 in the Indonesian cities of Jakarta and Palembang.
· Dipak Misra recommends Ranjan Gogoi as next Chief Justice of India
- Present Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra, who is set to retire from the post on October 2 this year, recommended senior Supreme Court judge Ranjan Gogoi as the next Chief Justice of India.
- Justice Ranjan Gogoi who hails from Assam was appointed a judge in the Gawahati High Court on February 28, 2001. He later became the Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court on February 12, 2011. Then he elevated to the Supreme courtin April 2012. Justice Gogoi is slated to retire on November 17, 2019.
· Supreme Court fined the Income Tax Department Rs 10 lakh
- A bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokurslapped a cost of Rs 10 lakh on the IT department for making “misleading statement” about the pendency of an appeal and said that the apex court is not a “picnic place”.
- The Income Tax Department had delayed the filing of a petition by 596 days.
· Supreme Court banned all construction activities in 4 states
- The Supreme Court has banned all construction activities in Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Chandigarh till October 9.
- A bench, led by Justice Madan Lokur, announced the ban citing the failure of these States and the UT to implement a solid waste management
· West Bengal government launched mobile blood donation camp
- TheWest Bengal government has launched a mobile blood donation campin a red luxury bus. The bus moves from location to location, collecting blood in West Bengal. The health activists said that this move by the government is a major success as the bus is often seen in the city collecting blood samples. The service is free of cost.
· Two Indians, Bharat Vatwani and Sonam Wangchuk, received Magsaysay Award
- Bharat Vatwaniand Sonam Wangchuk are among six individuals who received this year’s Ramon Magsaysay Award, popularly known as Asia’s Nobel Prize.
- The other recipients of the award are
♦ Youk Chhang,
♦ Filipino Howard Dee,
♦ Vietnam’s Vo Thi Hoang Yen and
♦ East Timore’s Maria de Lourdes Martins Cruz.
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program 2022
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022