- Pilot scheme on biodiversity index to take off from Tirupati
- Keeping in view the steady increase of population in urban areas and changing patterns of city growth, the Andhra Pradesh State Biodiversity Board (APSBDB) will be embarking on a pilot project to determine the ‘City Biodiversity Index’ of major cities across the State.
- The project, which will evaluate biodiversity indicators, existing environmental indices and several other factors, will begin from the temple city of Tirupati.
- Belgium appoints world’s first female ambassador to Saudi Arabia
- Belgium has become the first country to appoint a female ambassador to Saudi Arabia in spite of the Gulf nation’s shocking women’s rights record.
- Dominique Mineur will move to Riyhad to head up the embassy from next year in a ‘clear signal’ to Saudi officials.
- Mineur is currently based in the United Arab Emirates.
· Worlds Longest Glass Bridge Opens in China
- The world’s longest glass bridge opened in China to the public.
- Though it has a capacity to hold 2000 people, only 500 would be allowed at a time.
- It is Located in Shijiazhuang, the magnificent bridge lies 218 meters above hanging between the two cliffs in Hongyagu Scenic Area in Pingshan county.
- The bridge is 488 meters long and two meters wide, with two dragon statues on top that could produce smoke.
- Another 430 meters long and 6 meters wide bridge was opened last year in the Grand Canyon Scenic Area in Zhangjiajie, China.
· India’s First Runway on ‘Sea Bridge’ in Lakshadweep
- India is all set to get its first runway on a ‘sea bridge’, as the Airports Authority of India (AAI) has been given a nod to extend Lakshadweep’s Agatti Airport.
- The task will be carried out by building an RCC platform on the beach and shallow area which will allow bigger ATRs to operate on the island.
- The Project is likely to cost about Rs 1,500 crore.
· Mumbai Gets India’s First Ever AC Local Train
- Mumbai got India’s first ever AC suburban local train as Christmas gift.
- The first service of the 12-coach EMU will commence between Borivali and Churchgate.
- The first and 12th coaches from Churchgate end are earmarked as ladies coaches.
- This will be the first train with automatic doors in the suburban system.
- Out of 12 services of AC Local train, 8 will run fast and will only halt at major stations. The services of AC local train will replace existing 12 Non AC services.
· Bengaluru Becomes First Indian City to have its Own Logo
- Karnataka’s capital city Bengaluru has become the first Indian city to have its own logo after the state government launched it.
The logo was designed by a design start-up and uses both English and Kannada alphabets.
The red and black logo is part English and part Kannada. With this, Bengaluru joins a select group of global cities like New York City, Melbourne and Singapore to have a tourism logo of its own.
· Environment Ministry Launches Pilot Project Blue Flag for Beach Clean-up
- The environment ministry launched a pilot project ‘Blue Flag’for its clean-up and development.
- With the prime objective of enhancing standards of cleanliness, upkeep and basic amenities at beaches.
- The ‘Blue Flag’ is a certification by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE)that a beach, Marina or sustainable boating tourism operator, meets its stringent standards.
- Odisha recognised as ‘Champion State’ for exports
- The Centre has recognised Odisha as a ‘Champion State’ for recording the highest growth in exports during 2016-17, official sources said.
- This was announced during a review meeting of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry on the export performance of states and formulation of strategy attended by L N Gupta, MSME Additional Chief Secretary, Odisha.
- The exports from the state have increased from Rs 19,082 crore in 2015-16 to Rs 40,872 crore in 2016-17
- Jairam Thakur Will Be Chief Minister In Himachal Pradesh
- Five-time legislator Jairam Thakur will be the new Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, BJP lawmakers decided after a meeting to pick their chief, attended by the party’s Central observers Nirmala Sitharaman and Narendra Singh Tomar.
- He will take oath on December 27, the BJP has announced.
- The 52-year-old, who represents Seraj, a constituency near Mandi, had earlier been the party’s state unit chief and a minister in a government headed by Mr Dhumal.
- Ganga Gram Project launched to make 4,470 Ganga Villages Swachh
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) has launched ‘Ganga Gram’ – a project for sanitation based integrated development of all 4470 villages along the River Ganga, at a multi-stakeholder sammelan held at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The Ganga Gram Swachhta Sammelan was attended by more than 1400 delegates including 500 village sarpanches from all five Ganga States (Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal).
- Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation is the nodal agency for implementation of the Ganga Gram Project.
- For the Ganga Gram Project the Ministry works in close coordination with NMCG, various Ministries, State Government and Districts.
· Dr Jitendra Singh Launched e-HRMS on Good Governance Day
- The Union Minister of State (I/C) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh launched the electronic-Human Resource Management System (e-HRMS)in New Delhi.
- He launched it during the observance of Good Governance Day by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- The Minister launched the 25 applications of 5 modules of the system. The e-service book launched for DoPT during March 2017 will also be integrated into the e-HRMS.
· Bengaluru Becomes First Indian City to have its Own Logo
- A book containing selected writings by late journalist Gauri Lankesh was launched at the Mumbai Press Club, three months after she was gunned down.
- The book, The Way I See It – a Gauri Lankesh Reader, has been edited by writer and sociologist Chandan Gowda.
The six sections of the book comprise Lankesh’s early reportage in various publications and selected articles she wrote for the Kannada language Gauri Lankesh Patrik[/lockercat]APPSC GROUP 1 Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APPSC GROUP 1 Notes are as follows:-
- APPSC GROUP 1 Mains Tests and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- APPSC GROUP 1 Detailed Complete Prelims Notes